Saturday, January 8, 2011

Donating to charities by playing educational games!

MakeUseOf has a great post on educational (or "edutainment" as he calls it) games that you can play to donate to charities. The one I am most familiar with is Free Rice. I learned about it from my mentor teacher when I was still in college (sometimes she reads this blog, and I am still thankful for her encouragement and knowledge). The gist of Free Rice is you play a vocabulary game and each definition that is correctly matched earns 10 grains of rice. The rice is donated through the World Food Programme, and they have donated over 86 billion grains so far! I always encourage my students to use this site because it is a good way for them to learn new vocabulary, and they get excited about donating the rice.

Enjoy this post? Subscribe to my feed or become a fan on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment